I’m pretty excited about this post! It’s been a long time coming.
Shortly after moving into our house eight years ago, we purchased a nice glass table and chair set.
I regretted that purchase almost immediately! Glass table + busy family = constant, smudgy mess. This table has been wiped down at least 1,000,000 times.
It’s almost uncanny how quickly this thing gets dirty. I’ll wipe it down so it’s spotless, walk into the next room, come back and see that some poltergeist ran smeary fingers across it — or the sun shift in the afternoon and all of a sudden an entirely new set of schmutz will magically appear. And don’t even get me started on how disturbing it is to eat while three little white dogs stare up from underneath…
I hate that glass table.
I knew our next table would be wooden, and about a year ago I can across this table on Craigslist.
Unfortunately, I don’t have a before picture of the table. It was in pieces when we got it home, and we never assembled it for the photo — but I know you can envision what this table looked like from the after photos. We all had one just like it.
Here is a before pic of the chairs though.
I would say hideous would be an understatement.
It was in rough shape, but I loved the great carved legs, and it was the perfect size.
Normally I would have just slapped some chalkpaint on this guy and gone to town, but the table and chairs had been redone before, and it looked like whoever refinished it just took a bucket of varnish and threw it at it. There was hard, raised chunks of dripping polyurethane covering the whole thing!
This guy needed sanded down. Plus, with all the curves in the legs, I knew that I wanted to spray it instead of doing it all by hand. The problem is I live in Kansas and finding a weekend where it isn’t too hot, too cold or way too windy is a rare, rare thing.
So a few weeks ago, we finally got that weekend (in January — who would’ve thought…). Topher set up a “paint booth” out in the garage (it’s a bunch of tarps hanging from the a rigged-up frame — looks like something off “Dexter”).
HomeRight had sent me their heavy duty Power-Flo Pro 2800 Airless Paint Sprayer.
Previously, HomeRight had sent me their Finish Max sprayer, which I absolutely loved, but this guy was much bigger, truly a “heavy duty” sprayer, and a bit intimidating.
Once I got it hooked up (which was a breeze), I realized I had no reason to be intimated as it was just as easy to use as the Finish Max. In fact, it was perfect for this job! The base draws paint directly from the gallon can, and the 25′ hose slides right into the booth.
Here’s the best part — although I love the Finish Max, you can really only use it with the sprayer mostly upright so the paint doesn’t drip out; however, with the Power-Flo, since all I’m holding is the sprayer end, I could move the nozzle any way I needed to hit the legs at just the right angles. Fantastic!
We sprayed on three coats with the Power-Flo Pro, and then touched it up the next day with the Finish Max (switching guns only because it’s a little easier to clean the Finish Max than the Power-Flo, and it was going to be a few quick hits here and there).
There was a great, even coverage and no drips at all!
I’ve used other paint sprayers over the years, and these two products are hands-down my favorites. HomeRight has impressed me!
Next, I distressed the legs and chairs, and since I had used DIY chalk-like paint, I then waxed the pieces with a dark wax and a clear wax.
After sanding down the scratches from the tabletop, we repaired the chipped and peeling veneer, then we stained the top, and then Topher applied 6 coats of tung oil since it was going to be a high traffic area. He prefers tung oil over paint-on poly — always has, and his finishes have always held-up nicely.
Once we installed the top to the legs, we realized it looked like two separate tables were put together.
So I decided to paint half way up the top of the side to make it seem like one piece instead of two separate pieces — if that make sense. I taped it off with Frog Tape and removed it once it was dry. Thankfully there was no bleed-through at all.
We then recovered the seats using a staple gun.
I am super happy with the results!
With my rug being mostly neutral, and the walls almost the same color, I knew I needed some pop of color to spice things up.
Thanks for stopping in! There’s a lot more coming later this week, so be sure to check back in!