Can you believe it’s the middle of July already? This summer is already flying by!
I’m loving that the unnamed child is home during the days and can be my
slave cheap labor. Although, I don’t think she is nearly as excited about this arrangement as I am…
Summer also means yard sales galore!
While out saling the other day, I came across one of those retro TVs. You know, the ones that weigh about 200 lbs.
There was one for sale for a whopping $3.
The person running the sale saw me looking at it and told me I could just have it if I would haul it away. Of course I can never turn away anything for free.
So off I drove with the back half of my SUV dragging about a foot lower than the front.
Now I had big plans for this guy, but I can assure you Topher wasn’t seeing it. All he saw was this albatross taking up room in his precious garage. I knew I needed to get to work on this ASAP so I wouldn’t have to hear any more nagging.
First came the gutting process. I left this part up to my beloved. I had heard horror stories about removing the old tubes because of stored electrical current. While googling how to do this Topher came across a whole site that sounded like How To Zap My A**. It’s a whole site dedicated to people that had gotten their behinds zapped while dismantling or trying to repair these tube tv’s.
By the grace of God, all of his appendages stayed intact during this process.
I kept poking my head out in the garage every couple of minutes just to make sure he wasn’t lying on the ground twitching.
Once the guts were out, I started cleaning off all of the filth.
I removed the handles and started painting this beast with the first of two coats (plus a few touch ups) of Plaster Paint in Ivory Lace. I used Plaster Paint because it is non-toxic, and in case a pup decided to chew on his bed, I wanted to make sure it wouldn’t cause any health problems.
I then gave it a light sanding and coated it in a clear wax.
Topher cut out a board for the back, and I painted it the same white. I then layered on three strips of chevron Frog Tape and painted over the whole board with a hot pink. I then removed the tape which allowed the white to show through.
I used the same hot pink to paint the handles.
I used some scrap material I had to make the curtains and the green inserts.
I picked-up a soft dog pillow and laid it inside.
My little Charlie is thinking that this makes a pretty good little house for him, and he doesn’t even mind the flowers.