As you all know, my brother and sister-in-law are having their first baby in a couple of weeks. This little girl is the first baby on my side of the family in 15 years! My unnamed child being the only other grandchild.
So needless to say we are all excited about getting our baby fix filled.
The only problem is that I will be out of town for four days at the end of this week to go to Haven (a blogging conference), so this baby is absolutely not allowed to arrive until Auntie Shanna is back in Wichita! Even though I know her mama is at that point where she is ready to get her out.
My brother’s name is Chaddie (Chad is his name, but when the unnamed child was little she called him Chaddie … and it stuck — it also works out well because Topher also has a brother named Chad, so this way we can differentiate). His wife, the mama-to-be, is named Andrea.
Chad and Andrea were working on getting the finishing pieces of their nursery placed together this weekend, and I decided to bring over a little decor gift.
Not long ago, I finished a tulle wreath for them, as well as the pink and white striped dresser they are using as their changing table. I (with Topher’s assistance) decided to make them some picture frames (from scratch!).
First, Topher cut 16 pieces of 1×4 cedar planks using his miter saw — the 2×4 was placed on the deck as a stop to help all the pieces end-up the same size.
Then, using a jig, he glued and nailed all the pieces together to create four frames.
Next I started the painting process. I painted one of them pink and used an ivory birdcage stencil. I didn’t even have to redo this one, I was pretty proud of myself.
The next one I painted pink, and then I covered it in round garage sale stickers, and then painted over it with ivory.
I painted another one ivory and used pink paint to stencil it with these spirals.
I did have to redo several of those. The last one I painted pink and then taped off stripes using Frogtape.
I then painted over it with ivory tape.
Once all of these were completed I went over them with sandpaper and lightly distressed them.
I also painted some trim various colors, and Topher cut them down to size. He asked me to relay that his $15 Stanley Miter Box was a great tool for this task. He secured the box to his grandfather’s old Black and Decker Workmate Workbench and was able to get some nice, precise cuts.
Once the trim pieces were cut, he glued them onto their corresponding frames.
Chad and Andrea painted the nursery grey, and Andrea picked out some really cute pink bedding. The tulle wreath I made is going on one wall, and the set of frames is going above the changing table.
Their nursery is so cute!
Once they get it all together I will try to take some pictures of the entire room.